A to Z 2014 Banner

A to Z 2014 Banner

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Widgets

THE CURIOUS SHIFTING OF THE CRYTON CHRONICLES

Holy sweet Baby Jesus in a hand-basket... it feels so incredibly odd to be writing on Blogger again, but at the same time, so very familiar and inviting. I can honestly say that I miss this format's simplicity and the suite of typing options! My current blogging format seems to be years behind and I'm actually paying for that shit!

*Sigh*


But Where Have All the Posts Gone?!

While it's true that I took a fairly extensive break from blogging, I eventually came back (as I always do), except instead of returning to blogger I decided to try out Squarespace. I felt it allowed for a relatively new/fresh start and I felt more comfortable writing and sharing fiction (yeah, like that ever happened...) on a site that was actually paid for, on a domain that I owned.

This was roughly a year ago now and all of my posts from here have since been imported over to the new site at THE CRYTON CHRONICLES!

I encourage you to check it out. It's a lot cleaner than Blogger, but I've found that much of their limited blogging options frustrates me more than just a little bit. I mean, for a host boasting its simplicity and customization, you think they would feature a "justified" text option! Or text colors? Font types?! Don't even get me started on the fact that almost each and every one of my imported posts have to be edited/reformatted on the new site, something I've procrastinated on this entire time!

In a lot of ways Blogger is superior in what is offered for its user experience when simply blogging. Especially considering it's free. I did a lot of research, however, and almost everyone unanimously agreed that Squarespace was number one! My only hope is that they tailor more customization options for bloggers down the road. I'd really appreciate that...

Don't get me wrong, again, the new site looks clean and professional. I'd just like more choices in he blogging department. Things that I feel are basic and standard issue.

Why did I wait so long to post anything here? I'm not sure. My blogging there has been very sporadic, but I suppose it always has been. I wanted to make sure I was actually writing before I attempted to draw whatever audience that once existed here to the new platform. I'm not even sure there IS still an audience, but at least this post will be up now for passerbyers to see!

Silver Linings

One of the most beneficial aspects from the shift to Squarespace is that I can represent the blogs in the way I originally envisioned. Not many know, but The Cryton Chronicles (TCC) was originally meant to be I, Jak, a personal journal blog, but it wasn't available for use. Eventually I decided on TCC and learned to love it. Now I'm able to have The Cryton Chronicles website acting as basically an umbrella for featuring the various blogs I write. Everything in one place, rather than separate entities.

Below I will link the site (again) and the specific blogs. And then I will get into the networking/social business afterwards.

I, Jak: Personal Journal Blog
Generation Jak: Entertainment Blog
Dreams in the Shade of Ink: Fiction/Writing Blog
Meta MTG: Magic: The Gathering Blog

Networking & Social Media

Another downside with Squarespace is the limited options for networking. On Blogger, I could display and keep track of who I was following (and when they posted via the "Blog Roll" feature), who was following me, and add easy ways to network with one another in the sidebar. These are not present in the same fashion on Squarespace.

Sure, there is a RSS Feed you can subscribe too (I'm sure not really sure how that works). Possibly email options?

A small saving grace is a social media tab bar, present at the bottom header of the site, so people can at least connect that way. Because of this, I have broken down and made some official social media accounts for The Cryton Chronicles.

If interested, I would love to connect with you on whichever platform(s) you prefer and/or feel comfortable with! They are as follows:

Twitter: Site - @CrytonChronicle | Personal (in case not yet connected there) is - @JakCryton
Google+: Site | Personal (also in case not yet connected there)
YouTube - Currently this channel predominately features board game content, but plan to expand!
Twitch TV - In case you ever want to watch me game on XBox One

I'm not going to lie, that seems like one hell of a clusterfuck, but I'd rather give as many options as possible, rather than miss a few some of you would rather network on. Also, the whole Google+ and YouTube social media and their crazy interwoven linkage confuses me (I apparently have 3 YouTubes?!), but again, the more options the better, I guess... Pick your poison!

I would say that Facebook and Twitter are the most common ways to connect, so if nothing else, venture that direction.

A to Z Monstrosity

I just wanted to add that I am, once again, participating in the A to Z Challenge this year. With just one small change — I'm doing it on all four of my blogs! So, if you know me well enough, you know that's a massive recipe for disaster! I will link my Reveals below, if interested in following along:


Closing Statements

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has followed along with my ramble-filled journey here on Blogger. I met a lot of fellow bloggers and made some lasting connections with a handful of you, which has been an awesome experience.
I'd love to continue that path on the new site (I'd love for you to check it out!) and maybe connect with even more of you now that I feel I will be relatively active. If nothing else, I'm usually around on Facebook and/or Twitter if you're ever bored!

But if not, that's cool too. I know it's been a while. It is what it is.

Either way, again, I thank you and wish you all well in your journeys amidst the Blogosphere! Happy writing!


4 comments:

  1. Welcome back to Blogger :)
    I know what it's like when you're searching for that perfect space that can encompass everything you like to write about and I, too, have given in and have another Blog with Wordpress now - but I always seem to come back to dear old Blogger for the nitty-gritty :)
    I look forward to investigating all your other sites, and seeing what you've been up to while you've been gone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katy!

      Well, I'm only back for literally this one post to let those who may be in the dark know about the new website. I should have maybe tried out a few more hosts, but there is great customer service and website options (when looking beyond blogging) that Squarespace offers that I hope to one day utilize.

      Feel free to check them out! Most were already established here on Blogger and imported. Mainly this blog and Dreams in the Shade of Ink.

      I hope you've been doing well over this past year or two!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see you keep up with A to Z on FOUR blogs! You will be a superhero when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it won't be long now until I start to fall behind and then crash and burn! :p

      Delete

Oh My Nuts! Leave a message already, would ya?!

Jak Stats