A to Z 2014 Banner

A to Z 2014 Banner

Monday, September 9, 2013

Widgets

XIV | 10 THINGS OF THANKFUL | XIV


This week (technically last week) ended up being a complete turnaround compared to the last few, leaving me with a lot to be Thankful for. For some reason, though, I felt almost completely unmotivated to participate in the blog hop this weekend. My fatigue picked up again, and it reminded me I have to call back the clinic for a follow-up appointment. Definitely not looking forward to attempting another sleep study, but perhaps I can get my hands on one of those devices you can bring home to gather data on.

As I fought through the re-surging, constant drowsiness there was a wealth of positive impacts on my life. Through brief (yet also constant) bouts of insecurities spanning various facets of my life, I feel I made some decisions that did well to counter those darker wisps of imagined unworthiness. It’s sometimes hard for me to overcome those doubts, but in time I’ve found with patience and practice I can eventually break through the fog.

  1. To begin, I wanted to give thanks to something I was very thankful for last week and forgot to mention, which was comments left on my After Armageddon pieces by Katy. I may refer to her as the Owl Lady (and hopefully that isn’t offensive), because I always saw someone’s TToT listing featuring an owl picture, but hadn’t yet visited their blog. They beat me to the punch and came by via TToT and then took the time to read my fiction pieces. I’m always appreciative of any and all [honest] feedback, even negative as long as it’s constructive.
  2. The inspiration that feedback can produce. Most of my upcoming pieces for After Armageddon hasn’t followed along the actual sequential order of the last entry, but I’ve had that next part [that does] in mind for weeks now. Still uncertain how to flesh it out, but I feel encouraged to write what I have down and go from there. It’s been stated many times that the fiction blog is in draft form, and so far only one small section of one entry has been edited and I haven’t yet shared it. So even if being a little rough around the edges, perhaps having it visually in front of me will help with fine-tuning.
  3. This Monday was a Grandma Day Extravaganza. I not only saw my grandmother I see each week, but earlier that evening I got to visit with my grandma from Arizona. I may not talk a whole lot about her, but that is likely because our interactions are fairly limited. Since I have no smartphone yet it can be difficult to arrange ways to talk, but she is a little more computer savvy and has Facebook which helps. She had flown in and happened to be visiting my brother on Labor Day, which is when I just so happened to decide to pay an unannounced visit as well. I wasn’t planning on seeing her until the weekend, so it was a fun surprise. I don’t want to forget seeing my grandpa with her was awesome too!
  4. Visiting with my nieces. This was the initial reason for going over to my brother’s on Labor Day. I used to go over every Monday after spending time with my grandma, but since Under the Dome began I’ve decided against driving over there so late and chance the drive back to my place at 2am or later. I get pretty tired when driving and it’s naturally worse at night. They are such cuties and I had missed seeing them. They have had to deal with some major lifestyle changes, but they seem to be taking everything in good stride. Everyone involved has really and it’s impressive, given the circumstances.
  5. Memory; the game, not the ability. I had bought my nieces a Disney Memory game and I hadn’t been over for weeks, so when visiting I was finally able to give it to them and play it together. It was a lot of fun! I think I should buy my own copy to work on my own memory; the ability, not the game.
  6. One of the biggest changes in my life of a positive nature, which I’m very thankful for, is getting to the point of asking someone out officially. We (Kate and I) have been dating for a few months, but due to where I was in life I wanted to make sure it remained on a more casual level. My last relationship was tumultuous (though, not anywhere near entirely bad by far) and I wanted to make sure I took my time and not rush into anything. There were many barriers that were placed up from the get go, and some placed up during mid-dating, but eventually most were worked through.

    I’m generally not the most vocal emotionally, but I like to think I show my feelings through the things that I do; actions over words. Once I was able to work myself into asking we take our relationship to the “next level” (I’ll try to explain more of this on a more specific entry…) everything seemed to fall into place. Since that time, things have been going great. She was with during the Grandma Day Extravaganza — meeting my other grandma and grandpa a bit ahead of schedule — met my brother and nieces, played Disney Memory, and didn’t seem nervous in the least. Unlike myself when meeting hers… I’m glad we are taking this step together and am really excited to see what’s in store with our future together!
  7. This weekend was Kate’s birthday, so it was incredibly busy! Friday was the night she celebrated with her family, and I was invited along. I was super nervous and wasn’t completely sure what to expect. I don’t exactly talk a lot and sometimes that can leave a bad first-impression. That and my humor. When I do talk and joke it’s of a more blunt, vulgar nature. Thankfully I know how to regulate and dole out in moderation when appropriate. Especially when elderly and youngins are around. Her nieces and nephews were a riot and definitely the highlight of the evening!

    I believe I met her entire immediate family, and once I felt a little more comfortable I was able to open up some. I am insecure about my work/income, lack of college education, etc etc. Questions dealing in those matters almost always cause me to hesitate when answering. Not that it’s important to anyone outside of who I’m involved with. I still worry. We had a delicious dinner of Chinese take-out, Dairy Queen ice cream cake, and homemade pie. I think she [we] got an overabundance of sweets, because I also had a cake and card waiting for her at Midnight when it officially became her birthday.
  8. Saturday, not only being Kate’s birthday, was the 25th anniversary party for my grandparents from Arizona (and why they were in town this past week). I sometimes wonder how it’s possible for a couple to stay together for so long (don’t tell my girlfriend…), and if I will ever hit that milestone being so behind on the whole “building a family” stage of life. Granted, my grandparents were a bit older than I when meeting and they still got there. Kudos to them! It was amazing to see them and celebrate their love along with family I rarely see. It was now my girlfriend’s turn to meet the immediate family, but she handled it way better than I had. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to stick around for the bonfire.
  9. This was because later that evening was Kate’s birthday party with her friends. This, again, made me a nervous wreck. Worrying about what they would think of me, if we would get along, if I would even be able to strike up a conversation. It ended up being a great time! Playing games like Cards Against Humanity and Jenga helps lighten the mood, at least when the more innocent CAH players — playing for sake of the group — aren’t crying in horror over some of the despicable combinations of answers people come up with. I love that game. So with good food, fun games, and threats of being skinned alive, I think the night was a success!
  10. I’m thankful for our own date night to celebrate on Sunday (Though this also occurred Thursday/Friday at the Midnight mark — gifts and cake, not sex you pervs!*). We have had terrible luck attempting to eat at Flameburger again, to try their breakfast, always showing up at the random times they apparently closed. We are pretty pro at it, considering it’s a 24/7 establishment. Embers, for the second time in a row, it was. Not too bad, and I was excited to think I’d be trying my first slutty egg, which was just described to me Saturday night with my girlfriend’s friends. The burger was delicious, and I’d recommend it, but for mess sake I may wait awhile before ordering another. The night ended with a movie (This is the End, which exceeded my expectations of fucked up vulgarity…) and more cake, wrapping up a great weekend.

I had [half] this list ready on Sunday evening, and had planned to post it and link up. I would then just edit and finish it up, but just as I was going to post it the clock turned Midnight. It was officially Monday. So I figured I had some time before the linky list closed (usually 3am my time — or so I thought) and opted to tackle some Candy Crush. As 2am closed in, Kate told me I was going to miss the timeframe to link up. I shrugged it off knowing (or thinking I knew…) I had another hour+ to get it in on “time”.

Then I recalled a night when it closed hours earlier than anticipated, so I had her check and verify for me. Yeah, no… I had like 5 minutes to copy/paste from Google Docs and to edit/tweak etc etc. Then panic mode set in and I tried really hard to get it up, where I could — like before — then finish/tweak it as needed. I got it posted, but then forgot I had to link up. Remembering, I pulled up Lizzi’s blog to find the linky list, and as my slow ass computer (fitting for Slowplay) was attempting to load all of the posts as I scrolled, I missed the mark. I swore I had an additional hour :-(

Soooooo... this is probably the latest anyone has ever posted their TToT compared to the set periods of time to do so. I can’t link up, and I haven’t even got through all of last week’s posts, so perhaps there is a smidge of Karma in the mix.

Hope those of you who happen across this had a great, fun-filled weekend! I promise next weekend I’ll be more up to speed!

*Okay, that maybe happened too...

Feel free to leave your Thankful List in the comments below, if you aren’t participating directly with the blog hop!

33 comments:

  1. Aw Jak it sounds like a really great week of absolute joy and delight. I'm so sorry you missed the link up. It closes 8am GMT on Monday, if that helps - I'm not sure what that translates to in your time.

    (Unless I'm currently being totally time-screwed by British Summertime, which is GMT+1, and a thought which only just occurred to me...)

    I'm so pleased that things are going well with you and Kate and your families. That's really lovely.

    Will you link this one up next Weekend, as an extra?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzi, it was! It's okay, I swore it went until 3am my time (minus the one mishap day), but really all I had to do was confirm the linky list countdown to know. I was just being lazy, otherwise I would have linked up no problem. Plus you have to factor in Jak Time and it gets messy and is more work than you should have to deal with...

      The meeting of the families was interesting and fun, both parents apologized for being themselves, which was pretty hilarious.

      I will try to link this post up this weekend along with the new one if okay?

      Delete
    2. The Jak Factor's factored in :) Share away, my friend :D

      Delete
  2. hey dude, your friend Kate did link up with the TTot (she self-identified herself as such) so I went ahead and Commented you out on (her) Post, I'm sure you don't mind... lol

    sounds like an excellent day/weekend/segment of your timeline! (although you have a little catching up to do in terms of learning the Doctrine*) I will say what I say to everyone, 'take notes!' we all live life as we do, (often) believing that what happens next (or at the moment) is what it must be... the idea of 'taking notes' is shorthand for the concept that one persons perspective on life (no matter how different or diverse) if stated in terms of 'how it appears' is useful to anyone else, provided they have the (equal) openess to listen.**

    So.. let the energy gather (from the most excellent-sounding week), and (as a side-project...suggested by a non-medical life form pretending to be one...) take note of when you are not drowsy and sleepy and such... (for no immediate purpose other than to note the gaps in drowsy-hood. it might be interesting... spotting the time periods and looking for common elements***)

    see ya next week, yo


    *not nearly as much as *you* think! trust me (lol) I know these things you have the core ideer just a little practice to take it from pain-on-the-ass-to-remember to 'damn-this-thing-is-cool'
    ** why yes! now that you mention it, this is punishment for having been tardy for the TToT lol.... you have to wade through the Comment and then... then! you will either a) reply in kind (hoping to out-obscure me or 2) laugh and say, 'damn, they may be weird, but those Doctrine people is fun'
    *** and *they* will be very difficult to see hint: not necessarily time of day or physical activity...more along the lines of surroundings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Thanks >.< She was actually over here as we were writing up our separate lists, and as I was playing Candy Crush thinking I had an entire hour left she was insisting my time was running out. It was mentioned I was called out and I will have to scope it out when I do my hopping around!

      I have TONs of catching up to do via the Doctrine, I am so flipping far behind :( I am curious what awaits me...

      Common elements are likely present, but I've not bothered to seek them out as when these bouts have occurred these last weeks/months they have been a bit more excessive than previous ones. I always like experimenting on myself, though...

      Delete
  3. Wow, does it feel like you showed up to the party, only to find the keg floating, trash everywhere, and the only people left are the ones who passed out?
    Don't be worried you didn't get linked up. It's the process of making the list that helps you. And look, hoppers are still hopping and commenting.
    I wouldn't suggest doing it again, though... :)

    Sounds like a marvelous week! So many social engagements! Good for you, facing them all head-on, and thus having a great time.

    It sounds like you and Kate are very happy. I'm happy for you. But really, you don't have to tell us when the hanky panky happens. No need to tell us everything. :) (Yes, I'm the prude. But you probably knew that.)

    I'm glad you wrote the post. It's good to hear you had such a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, Christine... it does. You weren't passed out, though. Looks like you left early, but Dyanne and Kristi got mad drunk and were half naked. I would have made the list if I had been a bit more proactive on double checking (as I am with most everything) and not assuming I knew the timeframe I had.

      But yeah, it was a great week and I'm glad I didn't chicken out of meeting families this past weekend. It was all a lot of fun.

      Damn it! I thought I put sexy-time and not sex, and so I had this whole spiel about how sexy-time can mean a vast variety of things and is pretty subjective*

      So far things are going along quite well with her and I, but it's all just begun... what happens when the "Honeymoon" phase ends? Then the real trouble begins...

      *For example: I consider when I come home and take off my pants as soon as I walk in the door to be "sexy-time" >.>

      Delete
    2. I think if a couple is meant to be together (and time will tell) I am not sure the "Honeymoon" stage ever really fades. I think daily dose(s) help too. Just my two cents.

      Delete
    3. Eh if one keeps up on them I suppose...

      Delete
    4. That was one time! You're killing me smalls.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a packed week or mostly fun stuff! Why not get the grandma talking on Skype? It's basically free, and you can download onto your laptop. I spoke to my son frequently that way when he was over in China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no no we should get a schedule of when the hanky panky happens, so we can all compare...no? just me then ;)

      Delete
    2. Catherine (holy crap I am still typing Cathering for some reason),

      It was a busy busy week/weekend and so I've been attempting to relax this week and look forward to a lazy weekend coming up, because the following weekend is going to be a bit crazy possibly.

      Not sure my grandma has a cam, or a phone with a cam capable for Skype. She said he computer could barely load various web pages so she may need a new machine. That is a good idea, though, if she ever upgrades!

      Hahahaha Jette, I think you missed the "reply" by one mark ;-)

      Delete
  5. Love the list and love all the quality time we spend together. A girl couldn't ask for more. Really and truly.

    Next on our agenda? Coffee shop visits so you can work on your fiction and I on my blog, hit the gym regularly and figure out your sleeping schedule. It's all about teamwork and support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks hon, the feeling is mutual (time together, not a girl being unable to ask for more... that just... yeah... doesn't seem likely >.>)

      Would be sweet to get back out to writing at the coffee shops. Could maybe try a variety of them, though I am very partial to my regular place. The gym is definitely a necessity!

      Delete
  6. Well, you learned for next time right? Probably not, I never do.

    Glad to hear things are improving for you over there. Do you think the place just closes down every time they see you two coming? hmm...conspiracy I tells ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, don't say that! We have been craving their amazing hash browns for weeks now!

      Delete
    2. Well, hopefully I learned... depending on the situation my "learning" from mistakes varies... like in Candy Crush I know I should just use the doughnut combined with a striped candy next to it, but I keep trying to fill the board with as many matching colors to the striped candy as I can get, which almost always results in it going off prematurely and in turn activating my doughnut :-(

      You know... it very well may be a conspiracy, I don't believe in coincidences!

      Delete
    3. Well, this comment has sealed the deal I made to never try candy crush. I want nothing to do with "going off prematurely" and "activating my doughnut". :) (The jokes that were flying through my head...)

      Delete
    4. Don't knock it 'till you try it!

      Delete
  7. Yay for a girlfriend, Jak! So happy for you!I know how awkward the first visits to the family are. I remember I was so nervous when I "met" Richard's parents for the first time (on the phone, after we were engaged). Enjoy your relationship, family, children, friends, ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie! *hug*

      First family introductions can be very awkward, it's true. If I were more of a talker it maybe wouldn't be that way, but alas, I'm not. Hopefully your first "meeting" went well. It would be a bit more awkward over the phone maybe then in person I'd imagine. You could have video chatted?

      Whoa whoa whoa no children here >.< haha

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you've had a great week of things to be thankful for, Jak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello... Michelle...

      I believe I've heard so much about you and I can't even confirm if it was all good or not >.> dun Dun DUN! Some may have been scandalous! We will say Clark is the source...

      Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete
  9. sounds like a great family oriented week....now if you could just stay awake long enough to enjoy it! HA! Hope that works out... fatigue is tough. BUt sounds like the rest is right where it should be! Happy BIrthday to Kate and Happy 25th to the grandfolks! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Zoe. As for staying awake to enjoy it... yeah, I pretty much force myself to be up. At least I was able to get a lot of Thankful time with friends/fam!

      Delete
  10. I really need to be more observant. I kept wondering how you didn't link up, when obviously you did, and I didn't figure it out until I finally thought to look at the date.

    Anyway, it sounds like you had a wonderful week or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I missed the link up by like a minute, because originally I thought I had an entire hour left, so I just pushed it off until the next day instead of worrying/stressing over it. Definitely no worries, and I won't ever mind if I'm the last blog people happen across since I'm always behind anyhow ;-)

      Thanks, they were fun and I appreciate you commenting!

      Delete
  11. I missed out on last week as well but more on purpose than it sounds like what happened with you. One week, I got in like 2 minutes before the linkie closed and couldn't add my own! Gah.
    Happy birthday to Kate! I love that you spent some great time with her family and felt comfortable and also that you got to visit with not just one grandma but TWO this week! Yay for grandmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really curious about your previous week's absence and thought I just couldn't find it in the mix. I know some people have been having blog issues over the last few weeks.

      Mine definitely wasn't intentional, but I made up for it. You could have (still can technically) still "make up" for the missed/skipped post if ever feelings like it? I ended up linking both this week and the current week since Lizzi suggested it.

      Glad you made it the current hop!

      Yay for grandmas!

      Delete
  12. How come I didn't know you posted this? Wait, I'm not a Jakker Tracker! Must remedy this!

    Glad you and Kate enjoyed her birthday. Nothing like having your cake and eating it, too, huh?

    I hope you get to the bottom of this fatigue thing. It must be miserable.

    Oh, meeting the parents! When I met my future in-laws (not that you're there, yet!), it was Christmas and my future MIL was in a horrible mood. We were opening gifts (believe me when I tell you it's VERY awkward to open Christmas gifts when you're meeting for the first time) and she THREW MY GIFT AT ME. THREW IT. Fortunately (or unfortunately) she actually likes me better than her own son.

    Memory was my very, very favorite game as a kid! My mom and I played it all the time. You actually can play it in a solitaire manner and work on your skills. This is the version I have: http://www.etsy.com/listing/56798755/1966-original-memory-game-milton-bradley

    Candy Crush is the work of the devil. And I'm stuck on level 181 and am ready to sell my soul to him just to get past it.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACK I knew this for ages! Actually, only Lizzi and Clark I think became Jakker Trackers originally, and now suddenly a few more this past week... which was all going to be discussed in various forms on a post I've put off for weeks now. I appreciate the follow! I have to update my blogroll and bump off those I no longer remotely converse with nor visit and vice-versa and add those who do.

      The fatigue thing does suck, but I really don't want to attempt another sleep study :-(

      LMFAO I'm so sorry, but that story is awesome! She threw the gift at you? What the hell did you get her exactly? I would NOT want my first meeting of someones parent's be on a holiday and involved in a gift exchange >.>

      I found that playing Memory that short bit really emphasized my memory is going to shit... That link says "item sold" but doesn't list the price. Kind of curious. That is indeed old school!

      I'm stuck on level 342! It's BS!

      Delete

Oh My Nuts! Leave a message already, would ya?!

Jak Stats