A to Z 2014 Banner

A to Z 2014 Banner

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Widgets

V | 10 THINGS OF THANKFUL | V

 
Just a quick list today. It pretty much all revolves around an incident that occurred earlier in the week.

  1. I’m thankful for mindful tenants who are quick to call the Fire Dept. when they see smoke coming out from under a neighbor’s door.
  2. I decided to actually respond to my apartment buzzer, where normally I maybe wouldn’t. Like Wednesday as I was taking a shower. It helps the individual pressed it for prolonged periods of time...
  3. Fast responding firefighters.
  4. Getting to the second apartment building just as the firefighters were planning on entering the smoking unit. Had I been just a few moments later they would have kicked in the door. That would have been all sorts of bad. You know... aside from the potential burning down of the entire building and all.
  5. Being incredibly thankful that the tenant was not in said apartment as everything was going down. Not only for her safety, but the safety of the firefighters entering the unit. I knew she slept with ear plugs, barely gets any sleep, and is ex military/police. She’s described having momentary flash backs and I can only imagine what waking up in a smoked filled room with strangers in masks coming for you may trigger.
  6. Extremely thankful that nothing had caught on fire (food was left cooking in the oven), and that airing out of the unit and building was all that was necessary to remedy the situation.
  7. On a lighter note: being invited out to a BBQ on the 4th! It was a blast and there was some great food and laughs. BBQs are definitely rampant. The fireworks may not have been 25 feet as advertised, but they were fun nonetheless. Though, I wish one of the hosts had been “metal” enough to jump some of them as they were going off.
  8. The wonderful lunch... dinner... (linner?) I was treated to. It was delicious and at one of my favorite restaurants.
  9. For friends showing me the ropes on public transportation. They didn’t mind my anxiety and did their best to explain how the system worked. I may not ride solo for some time, but it was a start right?
  10. The invite to celebrate a friend’s birthday! It was extremely short notice, but it ended up working out great. Tried out a new bar (after said bus ride) and then shifted the hanging out to one of the couple's house. We may not have gotten around to playing King's Cup, but there's always next time!

So the gist of this week is: I'm thankful one of my building's didn't burn down and that no one was harmed, and spending time with friends to make up for the stress the first event may have caused!

18 comments:

  1. I still want King's Cup.

    Ok, card houses will work instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the card houses didn't really "work" did they? :(

      Delete
  2. You're DOING IT! You're getting out there and combatting those worries head-on :)

    I'm so glad no-one was hurt in the 'fire'! What an unsettling experience!

    Glad you had a marvellous 4th :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much. A lot of people were pretty panicked, and I was really afraid the tenant was still in the unit. Thankfully, it turned out to be more of a "best case" scenario given the circumstances.

      Hope you had a great 4th as well!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I see you had a really scary incident with fire? It is surely a fairly good reason to be thankful that nothing happened!

    So glad you made it in time for the blog hop before the collection closed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very thankful nothing major happened!

      Thanks. I usually cut it close submitting my link, because I always seem to forget about it after making the post.

      Delete
  4. All's well that ends well! SO glad the fire was nothing more than what it was (I had a little oven incident one time, which caused my alarm system to notify the fire dept. It was, to say the least, humiliating).

    4th of July was a "blast"? BAHAHAHA! I kind of think jumping fireworks would have, again, summoned emergency workers. Probably a good thing your host did not take your suggestion.

    Yay for free food!

    And I would have a HORRIBLE time learning to ride public transportation, so I can empathize with you completely. Keep working on it!

    Glad you got your post in under the wire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad your incident didn't cause any damage either. I think the tenant was a bit embarrassed, but I'd think most understand, ya know?

      A Blast! My subconscious genius at work! Well, he DID jump over the fire (twice supposedly) but I never saw it. I was getting pretty bummed I missed it. The jumping of fireworks, emergency personnel needed or not, would have been awesome. Though, you are probably right that it was or the best.

      Yeah, riding the bus solo is a no go for some time... I am pretty sure I will never know when to get off and, more often than not, fall asleep.

      Midnight is technically Sunday >.< So I don't completely count it, but don't completely discredit it. "Considerings" it's a 2 day blog hop I made it, but I prefer to get it in on Saturday. As for adding the link... well, that's a whole other matter.

      Delete
  5. The fire sounds scary! I'm glad everybody was okay and that your neighbor didn't wake up to a smoke-filled room with strangers in it - yikes. And awesome job getting out there and having fun with friends to make up for the stress. Ugh. Fire is SO SCARY. And yeah, public transportation is a pain. I used to ride my bike almost everywhere to avoid having to figure out the schedules which is a really weird version of being lazy. It's a lot easier now with the internet than it used to be though, so there's that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi, it definitely could have been a lot worse. Like many, being trapped in a fire is a fear of mine. Rather, dying in a fire or drowning. This wasn't anywhere close to that level, but it was a scary moment (more so fearing for the tenant than anything else).

      Hahaha bike riding is pretty sweet, but I haven't in years. I suppose if I had an active smartphone public bus routes would be a bit easier to learn.

      Delete
  6. ...good list. (Any list that includes things like 'un-burnt-down buildings') totally gets my un-divided attention.

    (you know, clarks are very, very good in emergencies. if fact, the more extreme/panic-inciting the better we are*)

    props on the public transportation thing, am not in a area where that would be particularly possible (semi-rural and such), but still you sometimes have to deliberately give yourself credit for doing the things that you do**

    Now our friend Dyanne, I totally can picture her with a firecracker and or portable explosives... (her on a bus would probably involve her sitting quietly for 1/3 of the ride and then walking up to the driver and informing them that the bus needs to go 99 mph for the rest of the trip or something bad will happen. lol***

    * thank god there is a benefit for that little emotional disconnect that many of us seem to have going on...lol
    ** clarklike modesty aside, I find that it helps to view various self-inprovement projects as Ordeals (important that you use capital letters to make sure it is a noun and not a ... non-noun. lol) It do make a difference.
    *** this is just between you and me, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I missed this comment!

      Interesting about Clarks being very good in emergencies. I hope they are the ones that go into the medical fields and protective services.

      Lol Ordeals sounds about right :-) It would be nice to live in an area where it isn't an option so I wouldn't have to chance using it.

      All I am going to say is you now Dyanne way more than I ;-)

      Delete
  7. Glad you could make it even with no notice. NO KING'S CUP EVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Julia, we will provide the necessary food items for you to start flailing at people from under whichever table of your liking. Plus you give tons of hugs!

      Delete
  8. Scary! Thank God there was no tragedy. And see, you weren't a 'coward' in that circumstance...you did what you had to do :)

    It sounds like you had a busy, getting 'out there' kind of week, so that's great! I played recluse on the 4th. I've been so stressed at work, that I just needed to stay home and veg out. And that's what I did...all day! It was very lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! *Hugs* So you recall the "Coward" bit eh? Well, you just wait and see... I will prove it to the world!

      It was a very social week, that's for sure. It was a lot of fun! Hmm played recluse? :-( Sorry to hear work has been so stressful. I hope it was relaxing, if nothing else. Sometimes those are the best (and needed) times.

      Delete
  9. Kudos to you for going out much. Deciding to face your anxieties will help you getting more condifent. You'll probably never be completely comfortable or a people-person, but things will get better. Take a good book to the bus, or something else to keep you busy. Glad the smoke scare turned out as not an imminent danger after all, but I bet it was scary! HAve a great Friday tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie,

      It's not exactly been easy, but it's a lot easier with friends along. I don't know if I would be able to read on a bus while in motion. It's never really worked for me in cars either.

      It was a bit, but as long as no one was hurt it's all good.

      Delete

Oh My Nuts! Leave a message already, would ya?!

Jak Stats