A to Z 2014 Banner

A to Z 2014 Banner

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Widgets

BEDiM 2013 : DAY 16

(A Blog Every Day in May 2013 Challenge Entry)

So tonight has been fairly interesting. Been visiting some friends I’ve not hung out with for a long time. It’s been a lot of fun so far, but taking a quick break to make my daily entry.

Today’s prompt:

Day 16, Thursday: Something difficult about your "lot in life" and how you're working to overcome it.

First World Problems

I have to be honest, I don’t think I have very many hardships that aren’t self induced. My main materialistic hardship is money. Most in my family have never had luck in money. I should say, at least my side of the family. Or... however you would explain it. It seems the half of the family that is detached from those I’m mainly associated with have had quite their fair share of luck when it comes to income/money.

There was a family divide — before my time — between my grandfather (now passed) and his brother. I’m not exactly sure what caused the wedge, but I essentially know no one from that half of the family. I don’t even recall their half having family reunions. I’ll have to ask about that.

Either way, what I do know is that I rarely have any excess cash on hand. This is how it is for many people, though, and a lot of it is the result of my lack of ambition/motivation to change it. I’ve always just sort of skimmed by on the bare minimum.

I know many others have it way worse, so I do my best to not complain.

No More Pets, Except For Birds

While I may feel devoid of any serious hardships and dealings of bad luck in life, the same can’t be said for my friend’s daughter. She is five years old, and it’s been one hell of a day for her. From the moment we arrived it’s been one trauma after another.

When getting out of the car she ran up to us and saw a wasp. Suddenly she let out a scream, as she made sure to keep track of where the wasp was flying. This wasn’t just a short, sharp scream, but one that continued until her nemesis buzzed off.

Within the next ten minutes she was mauled by her own pet cat. She was holding it when the neighbor’s dog came up, scaring the cat, causing her pet to scratch her arm, stomach, and shoulder while frantically attempting to escape her grasp. We were alerted by her screams, once again, piercing the silence of this beautiful, Spring day.

The scratches were pretty superficial, but to a five year old they were like the end of the world. Some highlights (in order that I can recall):

“I never want to see that dog again!”
“Oh my god, oh my god, OH MY GOD!”
“This is the worst day ever!”
“I’m afraid that I’m not going to live.”
“No more cats, no more dogs. I don’t need them! No more pets, except for birds. I like birds.”

To that last comment her father, a friend since high school, replied, “But birds can peck your eyes out.”

Smooooooth.

Between each statement given, she was screaming at the top of her lungs and crying. I couldn’t help but laugh when she wasn’t around to see/hear me doing so. I found it hilarious. Sad at first, because the scratches had to have hurt, but the reactions were so over the top I couldn’t help it.

She contemplated many things during the traumatic experience. Perhaps she should get rid of the cat. Maybe she should become the pet killer. That one was a little scary... All pets were evil, but eventually their new dog Freya was exempt from this accusation.

Eventually she got over it. Neosporin was applied to her battle scars and she was once again reverted to her playful self.

So regardless of what hardships I may feel I have in life, there are some that have it worse. Like those with pets... that aren’t birds.

Do you feel you have any specific hardships currently in life? Have you ever had a traumatic experience with a pet?

25 comments:

  1. Awww the poor kiddo. Thought I admit that I would be snickering when she wasn't looking too. I mean how couldn't I? Funny post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, it was hilarious. I felt bad, but everything she was saying was making me want to laugh more and more.

      Delete
  2. I used to be scared shitless of cats. I was scratched on my hand pretty bad by my uncle's cat...probably around age 5! Or something. Since I was never around cats as a kid, that was enough to convince me. I never liked cats much until a couple years ago. I also was bit my a neighbor's dog once because he wanted the peanut butter sandwich in my hand. But since I grew up with a dog, I didn't blame the dog nor had any further fears. That's about it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, I wouldn't have guessed that... I suppose when never growing up with pets and/or around animals it can really kind of affect how you feel about them depending on experiences.

      I am more afraid of dogs than cats, although I grew up with both. Something about them is like 500x scarier than cats haha.

      Delete
    2. I have come t realize that I prefer fat cats. All the cats I have grown a liking to in the past 4 years have all been, rotund, so to speak. ;)

      Maybe it is there shape that makes me feel better about mine.

      Funny isn't it? I was bit a few times by my dog growing up but that never really created a fear. Ah well. I am okay with most dogs and cats these days, as long as I am not allergic. Maybe not snakes though...*shudder*

      Delete
    3. OMG enjoy all those typos. Hahaha.

      Delete
  3. I got bit in the armpit by a cat. Hurt like hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I almost forgot my hardships. My car was totaled. So I have no vehicle which is perfect timing. Because I can't drive as I just had a screw put into my right ankle. Which I fell on the week after the surgery and now have to go next Friday and have more surgery on to add in more screws to fix what I shifted when I fell. But it's all good. I have a home, a wonderful son, and a family that loves me. Woot!

      Delete
    2. ACK in the armpit? Were you attempting to smother it in a headlock?

      This totaling of the car is new? You were in another accident over the last month? Except you haven't been able to drive in 2 weeks at least, right? I may be confused with what was said.

      Sorry to hear about the additional surgery! That really sucks :( You need to just relax and heal it up without much moving around. Whatever they recommend anyhow.

      Get a power chair! ;-)

      Delete
  4. haha...that is funny. My little grandson is like this. He's three and SO crazy over-the-top with his reactions!! His life is one tragedy after another.

    And man, I hear ya about the money. I could have more if I was more ambitious I guess. The thing is, I like my life the way it is. I love having the time to pursue my passions and I'm happy. Even though i stress about money sometimes, when push comes to shove, I'd rather be happy than have a few extra dollars in the bank.

    Money is just...money. It comes and goes. Happiness is forever. :) That's my Pollyanna moment of the day. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, Tamara! *hug*

      I agree with having time to pursue passions and being happy over money, but unfortunately I still need a bit to get by haha

      Wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if I just bucked up and focused on said passions! Need to get on that fiction train!

      So glad you were able to stop by :) Talk soon!

      Share with me a Pollyanna moment any time!

      Delete
  5. I don't like YOUR cat, luckily I was not traumatized and continue to enjoy cats...not fond of birds tho...one sat on my brothers head once when he was about 3/4 years old...he screamed and the bird pooped on his head...I think it was a robin...good times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See... Crooks is evil... and can sense other evil entities... and in this world "There can be only one" True Prime Evil.

      He was doing what he had to in order to secure his rightful place on the Catnip Thrown of The Underworld.

      Delete
  6. hahaha poor thing, small kids are funny - I hope she won't be a drama queen in later life tho! I got scratched, bitten, kicked and pecked by a lot of animals...still want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well her mother calls her "My Little Drama Queen" so the likelihood is high that she will be! :)

      Me too, especially cats. I've been clawed I don't even know how many times.

      Delete
  7. That 5 year old sounds like a trip! I would have been laughing with you. Shoot, I'm laughing right now and I didn't even see it happen.
    I was so traumatized by dogs when I was little, as an adult, if a dog I didn't know started to approach me, I'd freeze, and just stand there paralyzed with tears streaming down my face.
    Our first dog was horrible. It bit three of us (me in the hand) before my parents gave it away. We lived in a house which had terribly viscous dogs across the street that were always chained up in the driveway. A couple of times, they got loose and came after us. My mom had to beat them off with a broom until we got inside. Once, they were so bad tearing after us, that my dad, a policeman who had just gotten home from work, shot at them to make them stop.
    We had many more dogs after that, one was even a pit bull. All were friendly, but I was never comfortable with them.
    Oh, and one was huge but gentle as could be. Unless we siblings started fighting or wore a hat. If we fought, he would grab one of us by our pantsleg and drag the offender out of the room. (I got drug down the stairs once.) If one of us wore a hat, he would jump up and rip it off our head. I never saw my mom laugh so hard as the day we were all out playing in the snow. The dog ran around grabbing all of our hats, but when he got to my sister, she had a hood on instead. When he grabbed it, she came with it. He drug her around the yard trying to get it off of her, and while she screamed, we all laughed our full heads off.
    Aaand that was long enough to be its own post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have been cracking up. It was hard... I had to keep leaving out to the balcony because I didn't want her to see me laughing. Really wishing I had a camera or had been able to record it somehow.

      ACK that is terrible, thankfully I don't recall ever having a violent pet. Or one that would bite or the like. We watched one dog, once, that would. Screw that thing. I think it was a bulldog.

      Did you just eventually come to grow out of your fear of dogs? At least to the point where a random dog never evoked that reaction anymore? It is weird this was a reaction developed after having really good experiences too.

      That is a hilarious story! lol Do you have any pictures of it happening? That would be amazing.

      You SHOULD do a post about that :) It's a great story. OR a blurb on one of your multi subject posts!

      Delete
    2. No photos, unfortunately. It happened too fast.


      http://a-fly-on-our-chicken-coop-wall.blogspot.com/2012/04/soooo-ie.html

      That's where you'll find the one post I did about when I got over my dog fear.

      Delete
  8. When my daughter was little, she was so afraid of bees and wasps that she was convinced every flying insect was going to sting her. Monarch butterfly? Cue the death wail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may still be deathly afraid of bees and wasps :( Thankfully I don't unleash a death wail lol

      Delete
  9. I would have laughed too. I tend to laugh at any and everything and i have had no traumatic experiences with pets. i've never had one :/ I wonder if that's good or bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had one? A traumatic experience or pet or both?

      Delete
  10. Yeah, money issues suck. I am so blessed to have a house to live in, plenty of food, and a car, so I can't complain, but I certainly am not getting ahead, so I can relate.

    That little girl cracks me up!! I would have laughed, too. Girls can be so dramatic. And I know this, because I myself was a dramatic little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh did you turn into a dramatic older woman? ;-) Next time I visit I am somehow having a recording tool.

      Definitely be grateful for what you have. Everyone should.

      Delete

Oh My Nuts! Leave a message already, would ya?!

Jak Stats